Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Setting up a Homeschooling House

Yesterday, DS had to set up a photosynthesis experiment. Four jars were put together with paper towels pressing beans against the glass; Two had water added to them. Then one with water and one without went in the sun and the other two were set in the dark. We tried to find the most inconspicuous place to put them.

I often wonder what people think when they visit a homeschoolers home. We tend to think our homeschooling is that obvious, but look around. Is there a science experiment fermenting somewhere, an art project drying? Is there a set of encyclopedias that instead of decorating a shelf, are sitting open on a coffee table? How many maps and globes are visible?

When I visited my friend Paula’s house the other day, I thought my theory might be blown. There was no sign of homeschooling. Then she took me on the tour of the house. As we went downstairs – BAM! There it all was. She had bookshelves with bookshelves, work areas, dry erase boards, three ring binders. It was a homeschooling mom’s dream. My house isn’t quite like that. 99% of our work is done at the dining room table or the coffee table, but a mom can dream.

If you could set up your home to accommodate your homeschooling, what would you do differently?

1 comment:

Andysbethy said...

Yeah - My dream house would have a basement. Most of our homeschooling takes place at the dining room table, (or the back yard, a friend's pond, etc) but a place I could leave it all out for extended periods of time sure would be nice! Several of my homeschool friends just don't care. They decorate their living rooms with plant life growth charts and the cycles of the moon.