Saturday, September 13, 2008

Words that You Should Never Speak to Your Children

DD and I are watching the Lifetime movie Coco Chanel. DD is sitting beside me designing away. It is transporting me back to a day when I would draw and draw away. Ideas swirling around in my head. If I do not say so myself, I had wonderful ideas. I started to think; perhaps I would follow this interest toward a career. When I finally got up the courage to tell my parents my plans, she replied plainly, “If that is all you want to do with yourself, why did you bother getting good grades?” It was that day that I put away the idea, and followed in the expected path.

I don’t expect that this same conversation will occur with my children, but it will be similar, just different enough for me not to recognize it when it is here. I pray that I never squelch their dreams, but instead help them strengthen their wings.

No comments: