Tuesday, September 9, 2008

One Day at a Time - A Day Makes all the Difference

Yesterday, DS made me want to write an article called, “Can I have some Ritalin, Please!” I could not get DS to focus. He was anxious and easily distractible. Trying to get through our work was like pulling teeth.

Today, a new day has dawned. He is rocking on his work. He has even stopped to ask extra questions. And then was able to explain the answer in correct geometric terms.

“Mom, if you have two lines next to each other,” he placed a pencil and a plastic piece next to each other, “are they still parallel?”

As always I tried to understand the question and answer it. “Yes.” I just thought he wondered if parallel only worked in one plane i.e. on top instead of next to. “It doesn’t matter if they go this way or that. They are still parallel.”

“No, Mom, I know that, but are the lines parallel if they are different sizes?”

“Well, we need to start the conversation using proper terms. Is this,” I held up the pencil, “a line?”

A light bulb went off in his head, “No, it’s a line segment. A line goes on in both directions forever. A line segment has two endpoints. If it were a ray it would end on one side and go vomph on the other.” He pointed to the ceiling.

He gets it.

Of course to balance the positive exciting portion of my day, math with dd turned into a disaster. We did recover, but trying to get her to listen sometimes can be quite frustrating. When her answer is not correct, she will often go back, make a quick change or two and quasi guess at the answer. If it’s not 2, how about -2.

I tried to get her to back up and go through the process. I tried to get her to understand the process, but I could not get through her. This was not an issue of this specific problem but of the process in general. I blew up and walked away.

When we finally had both calmed down enough to talk again, I tried to explain that she would probably never see that exact same math problem again, but she would do the same process over and over again. She apologized for her behavior. I told her that there were three things I expected as her teacher:

1. Respectful Attention
2. Thoughtful Questioning
3. Patient Listening

Being that she was pulled out of school in 2nd grade, she has had no experience with a school teacher that leaves you behind, while the class moves on and no idea how lucky she was to have a teacher who was completely individualizing their program to suit her needs. After her apology, we were at least able to finish the section, but I’m sure it won’t be the last outbreak.

Yesterday, I was looking for Ritalin today for a Valium. Homeschooling is nothing if it isn’t exciting. Wouldn't it be great if they both had a good day on the same day? I don't want to think of the flip side of that though.

No comments: