Sunday, September 21, 2008

Elections at the Dining Room Table

I came by an interesting question on www.thehomeschoollounge.com regarding how we were going to teach about the election. My answer was:


“I hate to say that we don't teach it. We live it. I have not set aside special time per se, but they watch the conventions with us. We discuss it at dinner. Fortunately, DS was just working on the Citizenship in the Nation Boy Scout Badge which helped him to understand a little more about the process. Also, as I have run for office twice locally they have had firsthand experience with the ins and outs of an election. While I don't recommend running for office necessarily, anyone can get involved in a campaign on the local, state, or national level.”

Often the dining room table is the most instructive time of the day. There are no specific lesson plans, but instead good, open conversation about current events. Certainly recently, the election is a big part of the conversation. My father finds this to be a concern because people of other opinions may not be at our dining room table and therefore perhaps we are in a way biasing our children. I have tried to counter this by having them talk to other people as well. My mother would never tell us who she was voting for. I take the opposite approach. We talk, discuss, argue the issues. While my husband and I probably dominate the discussion now, we respect what the kids have to say and I'm sure it is not in the too distant future that they may take over the conversation.

During the primaries, DD started tracking the delegates for each state and I’m sure she will do a similar thing on Election Day. We will definitely watch the debates and the children have seen several interviews with each candidate. DD also likes political humor so she has to make sure that she knows enough about what is going on so that she can understand the jokes. DS isn’t as interested but definitely hears the conversation around him. I think just like any other subject some people will be more interested than others.

Both of them really received some insider information when I ran for office and while not everyone will want to run for office, everyone can help on a campaign. Find a candidate on the municipal, state, or national level that you believe in and offer to help on their campaign. Candidates will usually be very receptive to the help and you will get an education that you could never find in a book.

What are you doing to teach about the election?

1 comment:

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

I think the way that you do it sounds wonderful. I also believe that it will have a greater impact upon your children than having planned "lessons." Good for you! :D