Thursday, September 18, 2008

Homeschool Speedbump - Telephone Calls

Today as DD and I were slugging through her math, the phone kept ringing. Poor DD needed my full attention and I kept being diverted by the ringing and then the ensuing conversation. We did finally finish, but it took at least twice as long as it should have. I have always joked that one day you will find me living on an island without a phone. Ironically, one of my friends has done just that. She didn’t really move to an island, but instead created an island of her home by turning of the phone ringer. As she joked, “I figured I was an adult. I could take control of this technology.” I’m not sure that I can turn it off permanently like she has, but I certainly could turn it off for a couple of hours.

Does anyone else have creative ideas to control the outside world for the betterment of your “school” day?

I must also tell you that before she had turned off her ringer, she used to tell people that did not understand that she had to cut the call short to get back to teaching, “Would you like me to call your child’s teacher right now?” Usually they would get the hint after that.

No comments: