Sunday, November 16, 2008

Using Speech Recognition for Writing and Proper Enunciation

Today, I have been introduced to a powerful program. In fact, I am using it right now. It is speech recognition. I thought this program would be very helpful for my son who has a hard time when trying to write. I thought he may be able to dictate his ideas. Then he could correct the dictation (which may take more work than I expected).

Like many things in homeschooling, I have found a second use for this program as well. As DD was helping me learn the program, we found that you have to dictate very well for the program to work correctly. DD thought that this would help her in her acting. When he was very young, she had a speech impediment. Now you do not really do not notice it, but it did affect this program. Apparently, you can continue to work with the program so that it can get smarter (i.e. get used to you speech patterns).

This speech recognition program was not an additional cost for me. In fact, it was already on the computer. It was just a matter of learning how to use it.

We certainly have a lot more to learn and all must be more careful in how we speak to it, but it may be a very helpful program to use. You may want you check and see if your computer has the program as well.

No comments: