Thursday, November 6, 2008

Reading Your Way into Good Habits

When I was at work the other night, the Family Consumer Science teachers gave me an article, “Healthful Messages, Wrapped in Fiction” by Tara Parker-Pope. The article discussed the idea of positive messages to girls can be introduced in literature and successfully change their habits. As we have been having problems with DD (teenage issues) and would love to have her get better (more positive) media information, I thought this article may help. I thought it may help me foray into a conversation about the media and its impact on her. Also, I thought perhaps she may read these books.

Impressively, she took to the idea right away. She read the article with interest and then this morning took out not one but three of the Beacon Street Girlsbooks from the library to read and review for me. I thought this was great, because we adults can sit around and discuss what is “good” for kids, but they need to decide if it is really good. When she writes something up, we’ll publish it for your review.

In the meantime, please let me know if you or any of your daughters have read this series.

No comments: