Sunday, August 3, 2008

September School Scramble

Another school year is soon upon us. Even though we obviously don’t go to school and have no obligation to follow the school calendar, there is that itch and I know that I am not the only one that feels it. Summer has led us to be lax and now we must tighten up the reigns. I start flipping through curriculum catalogs, crawling through homeschool webpages. I even consider buying that teacher’s planner. This year is going to be different, more organized. I write out plans through Christmas, order curriculum. Everything needs to be ready for September . . .
Wait – Stop! I think we did this last year and the year before. Oh my goodness. This is a sickness. If you look on the bookshelf, you may still see the books that seemed so promising last year. The first few pages filled in and dated chronologically, but then September faded to October and every day became once a week. By Thanksgiving, the books were pushed aside for more pressing issues. January and February brought a slight revival, but as the crocus burst forth the books closed again.

Maybe it is not the kids that need to be deschooled but me.

Have you felt the itch? What do you do to get ready for September schooling? Do you stay on track?

No comments: