Monday, July 28, 2008

Wake-up - It's Schooltime!

I tried to get Jacob back on track today after a week of camp. We got down to our math lessons and then he asked for a break. Zonk, he was out. I originally said we would take a half an hour break, but 2 ½ hours later, I had to wake him up so that I could go pick up his sister at theater camp. When I looked at his sleeping face, I remembered my pediatricians voice, “Let a sleeping child lay.” This freedom in schedule has definitely been one of the benefits of homeschooling.

Back when we were in school, I remember when Jacob started kindergarten. My daughter had been gung-ho, but I knew for him it would be a different story. Sure enough, even a half day of Kindergarten was too much (I cringe when I even think about full day Kindergarten. The parents may be ready, but most children are not.). Often when he came home on the bus, the bus driver would have to wake him up so that he could get off.

Now our life is set by the rhythm of our lives and not of the artificial school bus. I don’t think anyone appreciates the later morning schedule more than I. I don’t mind getting up, but I sure am not ready to put my best foot forward at 7 am. However, I am happy to read together at 10:00pm.

The other benefit of this schedule is that they can bend around their father’s schedule. My husband travels frequently and often has late night meetings. The kids miss him. So if our regular schedule prohibits them spending time together, we just change it. Homeschooling has definitely allowed for a better relationship between the kids and their father.

A schedule should meet your needs. You should not be a slave to your schedule.

What benefits have you found from homeschooling? How has homeschooling benefitted your family schedule?

No comments: