Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Homeschooling a Teen - Space Required

My daughter is part of a summer theater group and she is gone every weekday from 7-4. I think my teen is enjoying the break as much as I am. Her absence leaves me home with her younger brother, who is affectionately nicknamed “Buddha”. He is definitely calmer, quieter, and requires less of my intensity. As an added benefit, my daughter comes home full of information about her fun filled day. “We sang.” “We danced.” “Nate said. . .” “Did you know . . .?” I can’t stop the flow of information (nor would I want to).

Teenage homeschooling, especially homeschooling of a Type A personality, has certainly changed our routine. I am no longer enough. I have had to give her a little more freedom, more chances to interact with others, and more opportunities to explore her identity. Please note we are by no means reclusive homeschoolers. We are active in the society around us through church, Scouts, and volunteering. The difference is that now she doesn’t want my husband and I around (and I don’t mean, just across the room or come find me when you’re ready to go. I mean, completely and totally without parental oversight - - - I try not to take it personally). She wants to be in charge. She doesn’t want me to overshadow her. She doesn’t want me to correct or restrain her. She wants to be known for herself. Thus every morning, we are trekking to the commuter bus so that she can catch up with her theater buddies and ride to camp.

Please understand, I wouldn’t want it this way every day, for say 180 days; but for 4weeks, this has been a great break for both of us.

No comments: