Monday, July 21, 2008

Homeschooling in a Family of Teachers

I will admit that it is difficult to be a homeschooler within a family of teachers. I now dread family gatherings like Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, because I know somehow my children’s education will come up – “Do you use a curriculum?” “ Will you let her go to high school?” “How is Jacob’s reading?” Ugggghhhhh! The same questions every time.

Today, my daughter and I went to the beach cottage to see this side of the family. It was great to see aunts, uncles, and cousins, but then it started. The questions started and then my cousin showed me how her 7 and 5 year olds could recite all the states in alphabetical order and the 7 year old could also recite the Presidents in the order that they served. (Please note that I do not take anything away from their accomplishments. Their recitation was amazing and very, very cute.) Not one adult in the room could compete. However, I think that is the point. Knowing this information is not relevant to life. In fact, later I overheard my aunt, the children’s grandmother, telling a story that when the younger boy when reciting the states was saying, “Mr. Sotta, Mrs. Sippi”. Proof that he doesn’t even understand what he is saying (If you want to try a similar experiment ask your child to write down what he or she thinks he/she is saying when he/she recites the Pledge of Allegiance.). They offered to get me copies so that I could use it with my children. I just put on a polite smile and thought “this is why my children aren’t in public school.”

Could my 11 and 13 year olds stand up and match this feat right now – no way. They probably couldn’t list all the Presidents or all states – period (could you?). They could get most of the states if asked to make a list (it is always the last one or two that are a bummer) , but I’m confident that they could name and place every state on a map. For those Presidents that they could name, I’m sure they could tell you several interesting facts about them. It is a question of memorization vs. knowledge.

Now I would agree that putting facts to lyrics does help with memorization, but I think that it has to be used properly. There needs to be background information and knowledge to make this anything more than a cute trick. It is the difference between an actor reading a script and Socrates giving an address.

What I really need to know now is what excuse I can use to skip Christmas? Do you think that I could claim to have converted to Judaism? Or maybe I should just have the kids start memorizing now, “Alabama, Alaska, Arizona . . .”

No comments: