Sunday, January 11, 2009

Word Games

"Lese? What - no way!"

Click, click, click, Click - Enter and she recited,

"lese
One entry found.

Main Entry: lèse–ma·jes·té
Variant(s): or lese maj·es·ty \ˌlāz-ˈma-jə-stē, ˌlez-, ˌlēz-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French lese majesté, from Latin laesa majestas, literally, injured majesty
Date: 1536
1 a: a crime (as treason) committed against a sovereign power b: an offense violating the dignity of a ruler as the representative of a sovereign power2: a detraction from or affront to dignity or importance"


It may seem unethical to let your children guess on words when playing word games, but I figure if they can prove that it is a word then everything is good. Could I ever get away with assigning them to look up 50 words in a day? While they may comply with my order, they would be bored silly and probably not retain one word, but when they are fighting for points in a game like Boggle,




trust me they will not only look up their words with glee, but they will retain their new additions to crush you in their next game.

I first came by this unorthodox idea when I was playing games like Scramble on Facebook. There were 24 three letter words that I could not find. How was this possible? Frankly, it was possible because I was too stuck in being sure and not guessing or stepping out and trying to learn and expand my vocabulary. I decided that we could all fool around with our language skills and see what nuances of the English language that we could learn. When there are no red pens, it is amazing what you can excavate.

1 comment:

Andysbethy said...

I just wanted to stop by and say hi.
I LOVE word games. My kids aren't quite old enough to enjoy them yet, but I am holding out hope! I love the one I play on Facebook, because after you "lose" they give you the answers. Great vocabulary expander, especially at my age (surrounded by a 5 and 3 year old, my language skills seem to have declined lately!)
Boggle rocks - I am jealous that you have someone to play it with.
Someday....