Monday, December 22, 2008

New Gadgets

You will notice that I have added a couple of gadgets to try out on our site. As I've mentioned before, I think half of homeschooling effectively is surrounding our children with interesting information. I was inspired to add these gadgets and will be looking for others after a discussion at a recent Holiday party.

We were talking about historical events and it was clear that Nagasaki meant nothing to one of the guests. Several of us tried to fill in the blanks so that she understood and mentioned Hiroshima, Atomic Bomb, World War II, but clearly it still meant nothing.

It got even worse when we chided one of the guests for using EID stamps on their Christmas cards. People were mixing Muslim and Hindi ideas. They had never even heard of Ramadan. Only one other guest, knew and understood what was being said.

I am hoping that by including such things as these gadgets, by subscribing to History Channel's newsletter, and generally having good conversation in our home will help my children from being this guest in the future.

No comments: